James Edward Wines

James Edward Wines 2023 Tumbarumba Pinot Noir

James Edward Wines 2023 Tumbarumba Pinot Noir

Regular price $40.00 AUD
Regular price Sale price $40.00 AUD
Sale Sold out

The 2023 Pinot Noir is made using hand-picked fruit grown by Juliet Cullen at Excelsior Peak Vineyard at an elevation of 630m in the southern part of Tumbarumba (Western slopes of the Snowy Mountains).

80% of the fruit was destemmed, with the remaining 20% left as whole-bunches on top of the destemmed fruit. After a 7-day cold soak and semi-carbonic maceration period fermentation took place naturally, and was kept cool to retain fruit and aromatics. The wine was pumped-over twice a day before being pressed to a combination of barriques and puncheons to finish primary and secondary fermentation. 

Both primary and full malolactic fermentation took place naturally with indigenous yeasts/bacteria, and a modest addition of SO2 was used at the end of fermentation before being matured for 12 months in barrel.

Bottled unfined and unfiltered.

In the glass, the wine appears light and ethereal, however, the palate tells a different story. Lifted aromatics of cherry, bramble, sweet baking spice and florals are also found on the palate that is medium in weight, with juicy acidity and soft, fine tannins. 

My winemaking journey started in Marlborough and Central Otago (NZ) where the Pinot Noirs are medium-full bodied and in some cases almost Shiraz-like. While I still yearn for this style of Pinot Noir from time to time, I have come to appreciate that less is sometimes more, and letting fruit and aromatics shine uninhibited produces some incredible and compelling wines, especially in the case of Pinot Noir. 

View full details